Are you ready to make a profound difference in the lives of thousands of animals and the people that love them every year?
Do you want to fully use your animal control skills and continue to learn more about your career?
Do you have security, guard or law enforcement experience?
Do you have at least one year of veterinary assistant or veterinary technician experience?
If so, Animal Friends of the Valleys (AFV) is looking for a dynamic Animal Control Officer to join our mission-oriented, non-profit Team!
For over 30 years, AFV has been helping animals in need, and we now support our local communities of Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar, Menifee and parts of Riverside County. We provide a safe haven for all animals and provide them quality and affordable care, including foster programs and adoptions.
Summary of Duties:
Performs tasks related to the enforcement of animal control laws within the Cities of Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, Temecula, Wildomar and Menifee. Educates the community about stray or vicious animals and related diseases; captures, impounds, relocates, and when necessary, disposes of animals; and maintains records. Investigates animal complaints from members of the community. Issues citations for violation of City Code(s), or applicable state law. Prepares reports as appropriate, and testifies in court as directed.
- Patrols designated service area streets, roads and parks in an AFV vehicle; searches for stray or abandoned animals; captures and confines animals using appropriate procedures.
- Contacts dog owners by house to house canvass to locate unlicensed or unvaccinated dogs (and cats where applicable).
- Patrols for stray, vicious, injured, dangerous, unwanted or improperly controlled animals and responds to community member complaints regarding same.
- Responds to emergency calls, such as cruelty to animal complaints, animal bites, control of poisonous or dangerous animals, and stray animals.
- Investigates reports or complaints of dogs, cats or other animals creating nuisances; uses tactical communication style to de-escalate situations and mediation techniques to reconcile complaints.
- Testifies in court as directed.
- Prioritizes calls using effective time management methods.
- Issues citations, administrative citations and court citations for violations of animal control and licensing ordinances as necessary.
- Writes incident reports, gathers evidence, prepares and presents cases at administrative hearings and/or appears in court as a witness as necessary
- In field conditions, may euthanize severely injured animals in a safe and humane manner as required.
- May make warrant and warrantless arrests related to penal code 830.9; search and seizure, issue warning, dangerous animal statement, citations, interview victims, complainants and witnesses.
- May assist Police Officers on high risk operations including dynamic and tactical entries, searches, and in serving arrest warrants, when vicious dogs may be present.
- Able to use tranquilizer pistol and rifle as a last alternative
- Answers emergency calls concerning person(s) bitten by animals.
- Impounds and quarantines potentially rabid animals in strict confinement, checks the animal at intervals during the quarantine period, and releases the animal at the end of the quarantine period.
- Issues citations for the quarantine.
- Picks up and transports sick and injured animals to a veterinarian.
- Picks up dead animals and disposes of properly.
- Performs chemical restraint procedures as necessary.
- Cleans and maintains the animal control vehicle and cages utilized to detain the animals.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records and reports concerning animal control violations and transactions
- Keeps detailed records of daily activities including times, miles, animal impounds, addresses and findings.
- Operates, cleans and disinfect equipment and vehicle(s)
- Oversees the maintenances of and maintains vehicle(s) and equipment in accordance with state regulations.
- Sets up cages and provides water, food and a blanket to all impounded animals.
- Explains ordinances relating to the care and keeping of animals to the public; promotes and provides education to the public regarding the keeping and care of pets.
- Maintains contact with citizens regarding animal control issues and problems and preserves good relationships with the general public; takes an active role in public education related to animal control issues.
- Attends meetings and responds to related questions and complaints; provides public education regarding animal control.
- Presents and maintains a positive and professional image of the police department; participates in community oriented policing.
- Assists with training of new animal control staff as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education
- Two years of experience in the care and handling of animals and/or two years of experience in some capacity of law enforcement.
- Valid California Class “C” driver’s license
- Possession or be able to possess a certificate for euthanasia.
- Possession of a valid P.O.S.T. approved P.C. 832 Certificate prior to application recommended. Must obtain a certificate within 4 months of employment with AFV. Failure to obtain the required certificates will result in release employment.
In Addition to Qualifications and Certifications and/or Education:
- Various breeds of dogs, cats, marine and other wild or domestic animals.
- Various types of animal behavior.
- Various provisions of penal code 830 related to animal control and penal code 832-arrest.
- First aid and CPR procedures and practices.
- Work independently, prioritize calls and respond appropriately to a variety of animal complaints.
- Work effectively in stressful situations
- Exercise good judgement and make sound decisions
- Euthanize severely injured animals in emergencies.
- Perform a variety of animal control activities such as animal handling, capturing, and confining.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; write defensible reports.
- Write legibly
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
- Obtain information through interview and interrogation, deal fairly and courteously with the public.
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Ability to Carry and Use of Law Enforcement Equipment as it Pertains to:
- Collapsible ASP Baton under the protection of California Penal Code Section 22295 (regularly employed and compensated by a person engaged in any lawful business, while actually employed and engaged in protecting and preserving property or life within the scope of employment).
- Handcuffs for matter and purposes of legal and lawful detention while police arrive.
- Pepper Spray under the protection of California Penal Code Section 22820 (person has satisfactorily completed a course of instruction approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training in the use of tear gas).
- Field environment; travel from site to site. Hot and cold temperatures; inclement weather.
- Essential and marginal functions may require gaining and maintaining control of large and often aggressive animals; lifting/carrying medium-heavy objects of up to 75 lbs. of weight, maintaining physical condition necessary for standing, squatting, twisting, running, stooping and walking for prolonged periods of time; operating motor vehicle and other equipment.
- Wear an AFV approved uniform and related equipment including badge, collapsible ASP baton; handcuffs and spray.
- Subject to irregular work shifts including evening, weekend and holiday shift assignments.
Direct Reports: This is a non-supervisory role
What can we offer you?
Looking for full-time team members.
Be part of an amazing team that loves and cares for the animals that need them.
Opportunities for additional training
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance benefits available.
Aflac Voluntary Insurance (Yes, the one with the Aflac Duck.)
403B Retirement Savings (Think 401K for non-profits.)
Extensive Employee Discount Program to help you save money on a wide variety of products and services.
Employee Assistance Program to help you through life’s challenges, including counseling and coaching services; assistance with legal, financial and career questions; and so much more!